08 July 2006

Ridiculous Speed (part deux)

So, the next day, after being rudely awakened by the Prima Donna of the bird world (HEAR ME! HEAR ME! I AM SO BEAUTIFUL AND MY VOICE IS LOVELY AND PIERCING AND IT'S 5:30 AM AND THE WHOLE WORLD MUST ADORE ME!!), we got breakfast and took a 3 hour bus ride to a town in Poland. I think it's spelled Wrocl'aw. In Germany, they call it Breslau. I think that's easier. Anyway, I'm not real sure why exactly we went to Poland. It was weird walking around in Poland, because you would see a sign, read it, and then realize two things: a) you have no idea what you just read and 2) there are a serious lack of vowels in the Polish language. Observe:

We had about a hour to eat and so, for some reason (I guess it seemed like the thing to do at the time), we decided to eat at McDonald's. Yeah. The food tasted the same, which is reassuring.
The above photo is contraband. I got yelled at for taking it. I thought it was scary getting yelled at in German, but it's way scarier in Polish! So, enjoy the photo of the McDonald's menu in Polish.

Then, we took the LONGEST, most BORING city tour, EVER. It took about 3 hours and the lady could barely speak English. I guess they didn't have anyone who could speak German. Anyway, we saw a lot of old buildings and TONS of churches, but a person can only see so many buildings before one gets bored. That happened around the half way point for me. Here's one interesting picture:
Yes, that is a naked guy with a sword. The story is that he lost at gambling and they took everything but his sword. The moral? Don't show Jacqueline naked statues when she's bored.

But the city tour finally ended, we went shopping (which was cool because the exchange rate was 1 Euro = 4 Slotties (sp).), and then we took a 3 hour bus ride back to Germany.

The next day, we did basically the same thing, but this time in Dresden. I hate city tours. BOR-RING! But, Dresden is cool cuz we completely destroyed it during WWII, and they are still rebuilding it, and whereever possible, they use the orginal bricks, if the survive. They do some kind of scientific scan to find out where the bricks originally went. So, you've got all of these beautiful old buildings, new stones, but randomly they have old, burnt bricks. It's a really cool effect.
Then, back to Leipzig (home, sweet home). The next day, I got to visit the Bach Museum, Schumann House and Mendelssohn House. Let's just say, for a music nerd, it was sweet! I was supposed to go to Wittenburg the next day, but I had a major headache, so I stayed home.
The next week was pretty standard. We went to a BMW factory, which was AWESOME, but sadly, they allowed no pictures and they didn't give out samples.
Then we went to a Brewery, which was REALLY boring. I don't care about brewing beer. We got free samples at the end. (I wish that the BMW tour had been boring, but that they gave out samples. That would have been way better.) I'm not suppsed to drink, so I'd just take a sip and then give the rest to Sierra. I like beer. Or at least, I like what I tried there. :-)
The following Saturday (July 1), I and four friends went to a tiny city called Halle for the 2nd International Highland Games. MEN IN KILTS!!!! (need I say more?) It was one of the most fun days I've had, ever! The games were great. I got to shoot a bow and arrow. I ate bratwurst with mustard, and got ice cream with a Germany flag in it. And there were bagpipes and men in kilts, and men in kilts, and men in kilts. It was great.
This week, we did a boat tour on a small river here in Leipzig. That was really nice - beautiful and calm, and of course, there was Beer.
Last night, I went to a Gewandhaus Orchestra Concert in the Park. It was WONDERFUL!!! 6 Euros to see the GEWANDHAUS and they played American and British composers. It was so GREAT! And, of course, there was Beer.

And that, my friends is a super speedy wrap up of my month here in Leipzig.

1 comment:

  1. Chiffer, I just sent you an email to tell you that Phillip and co. will be arriving Berlin on the 9th, ca. 3 p.m. Lufthansa #256. I hope this is enough info for you to meet them, as it's all I got.

    ReplyDelete