11 April 2007

AIMS-xiety

So, you remember when you were little and you had to take those stupid standardized tests? The bubbling in. The No. 2 pencils. The numb mind and behind after 2 hours of filling in those stupid bubbles.
Cat is to mouse as dragon is to
a) house
b) toilet paper
c) knight
d) all of the above
e) none of the above

The envying of the teachers because they don't have to do anything except read the stupid directions and then read a magazine while WE do all the work.

but, I digresss.

In Arizona, the standardized test is called AIMS. This is the week that our students have to take those tests. As the rookie teacher, I was going to be the one who floated around, taking over classes to give the other teachers breaks, but the teacher who works with the special ed classes wasn't able to be there today, so I took over her class.

No big deal, right?
Right. She walked me through the procedures "make SURE they understand the directions", we set up a seating chart, and then I left (this was yesterday). Well, apparently, it WAS a bigger deal than that.

I had THE weirdest dreams last night. I dreamed that we were set up in the art room (which we were supposed to be), but then the tables turned into desks. My 8 students were instead replaced by a hundred other students, none of them the correct ones, and none of them listening to a word I said. The pencil sharpener kept eating the NON No. 2 pencils. The principal came in and started trying to fix things, but it didn't work. AAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

So scary. No wonder I was late to work this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment