BUT.
The Supreme Court made the right decision. They protected free speech, and, unfortunately, that doesn't mean just protecting the nice speech. These people call themselves a church. A church. If the Supreme Court had ruled against them, that would have opened the floodgates to start taking away the free speech rights of legitimate churches. Pastors would either be afraid of preaching the truth or would find themselves labeled as criminals simply for preaching their beliefs. It would be wrong to punish all churches for the inconceivably detestable actions of one.
So, support the Supreme Court because, in this at least, they made the right decision. And then condemn Westboro Baptist. Don't be hateful to them, because that's just playing by their rules. I think the best thing we can do is pray for them to change their beliefs and then ignore them. They want attention. They want the media to display their banners and allow them to rant and rave their psychotic ideas. They want you to listen to them. They are trying to convert people. Don't give them that!
Proverbs 14:7 Go from the presence of a foolish man, when thou perceivest not in him the lips of knowledge.Ignore them! No media coverage. No reaction. I heard one talk show host say that he was willing to grant them air time to keep them away from an upcoming funeral. Apparently, they will sign a contract that they will stay away from individual funerals (not all funerals) if they are given airtime. It's a nice sentiment on his part; trying to protect the family from all that hate, but ultimately, it just gives in to blackmail. Don't give them airtime. Don't give them the opportunity to spread their filthy lies. Don't give them the chance to sway others to their cause. You can't debate them because they are so convinced that they will never be turned (only God can do that) and you'll just end up looking like a fool.
The irony of this whole situation is that the soldiers they are condemning are fighting, in part, to protect their right to say these horrid things! I respect our soldiers so much for their ability to continue fighting even in the face of such ingratitude. I don't know that I could.
And this is all the attention I will give Westboro Baptist. They don't deserve any further recognition. In fact, I only started this post to support the Supreme Court. It was a tough decision.
Proverbs 23:9 Speak not in the ears of a fool: for he will despise the wisdom of thy words.
Proverbs 26:4 Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him.
No comments:
Post a Comment